24 Hour Crisis
& Suicide Hotline
(317) 251-7575 or
Suicide in America
When people face serious problems or emotional pain, they sometimes turn to thoughts
of suicide. If you or someone you know is thinking or talking about suicide, take it seriously.
Suicide and depression go together so if you can get help for depression, the thoughts of suicide
may fade away altogether.
When a person has thoughts of suicide....
If you feel suicidal at any time, here's what you can do. Talk to a friend,
family member, counselor or religious leader. Call 1-800-273-8255 (TALK) , a 24 hour suicide
prevention lifeline. There is someone there to listen to your feelings and offer encouragement.
Visit your doctor as he or she can recommend counseling programs or medications.
- It may be hard to see other options. But no matter how overwhelming problems
seem, you can get help.
- With help, you can find solutions to problems that seem hopeless. If you are
depressed, treatment can help relieve sadness, anger and pain.
- Having suicidal thoughts is not something to be ashamed of. It is something to get help for.
Depression can be treated.
- Everyone feels sad or down sometimes. But if you or a loved one has overwhelming
feelings of despair that last for more than two weeks, depression may be the cause.
- Some symptoms include: changes in appetite and weight, sleeping too much or not at all,
not being able to enjoy things that used to be fun, forgetfulness and not being able to concentrate, and
feeling worthless and hopeless.
- Depression is one of the most common mental illnesses in the United States and the
Sometimes life events can trigger suicidal feelings.
- Getting into trouble at school or with police.
- Fighting or breaking up with a boyfriend or girlfriend.
- Having a friend or family member die, especially if this person committed suicide.
- Being in a family that is going through a divorce or where parents argue a lot.
- Being in a family where there is physical, emotional, or sexual abuse.
Mental Health America Jackson County
P.O. Box 51
Seymour, IN 47274
Phone: (812) 522-3480
Fax: (812) 524-8176