24 Hour Crisis
& Suicide Hotline
(317) 251-7575 or
Building a Circle of Support
Having support from others is vital to having a high self esteem and by building
a good support circle you can improve both your mental and physical health.
Here are some ways to build that support network:
- Work to improve existing relationships. People with low self-esteem often give a lot
without asking for anything in return. They often judge themselves by other's standards.
It is important that others show love and acceptance toward you, give you credit for what
you do and respect you. One way to help improve relationships is to be assertive and not
be taken advantage of by others.
- Try making new friends. Think about whether you might benefit from having a wider
circle of support. You might try meeting others with similar interests, for example, by
taking a class or through a community or religious organization. You might try joining
or starting a support group that will focus on self-growth.
- Avoid people who don't respect you. You don't need to be friends with everyone. Avoid
people who don't listen to you or who take advantage of you. You deserve friends who are
willing to give you the same respect you show to them.
- Ask others to help you improve your self-esteem. Think of friends, family members and
others from different areas of your life whom you feel could be helpful. Ask them to
encourage and support your efforts. Share your list of good things you'd like to do for
yourself and ask them to participate with you. Talk about skills you'd like to improve and
ask them to help you track your progress and offer encouragement. Ask them to help you
recognize times when you put yourself down or don't act assertively.
- Asking for help is not a sign of weakness. It shows you care enough about yourself to want
to make a change for the better.
For more information on mental illness topics, check out www.mentalhealthamericajc.net
Mental health America of Jackson County
P.O. Box 51
Seymour, IN 47274
Phone: (812) 522-3480
Fax: (812) 524-8176